July 1, 2017
- We all know the Star Spangled Banner's tune is based on an English drinking song called "to Anacreon Heaven" (Anacreon was a Greek poet known for his drinking hymns).
- But do you know that the song "Yankee Doodle Dandy" was actually a song that that British Military Officers sang prior to the revolution to mock the disorganized American colonists who fought alongside them during the French and Indian Wars?
- The Liberty Bell which is tapped 13 times each Fourth of July in honor of the 13 original colonies was made in London.
- The Statue of Liberty, our countries most iconic symbol of Liberty was made in France.
- Only recently, did Congress pass a law requiring that 100% of the Flags purchased by the Department of Defense, be made inside the US, with US materials. Prior to then, most of the Flags our military used were made in China! In fact 94% of the imported flags to the US are made in China.
- Speaking of China, what greater symbol of a Fourth of July celebrations exists besides fireworks? Where do you think most of those are made?